Clubs and Activities
Outside of the classroom, SRDS students participate in a vibrant culture of clubs, organizations, and activities to enrich their learning experience. Participation fosters student growth in the school community and promotes engagement with personal passions and areas of curiosity.
There are abundant opportunities for students to participate and lead in an array of extracurricular activities. Below is a list of clubs, publications, and co-curricular programs available to all SRDS students. Additionally, students with unique passions have the ability to start new clubs. The list is constantly expanding and evolving in response to the interests of our student body. Current co-curricular activities include:
Community Service Club
FBLA - Future Business Leaders of America
HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America)
Human Rights Club
ISMS Go Med
Mimesis (literary magazine)
Music Appreciation Club
NJ Thespian Society- Drama Club
Rebel Leaders (peer leadership)
Rebel Report (newspaper/news blog)
RebelVision (newscast/production studio/online channel)
RoboRebels Robotics Club
Socrates Cafe (philosophy club)
Storytellers of SRDS
Strategic Games Club
LOOKING TO START A CLUB?
There is always room for student interest to begin a new club/program. Students will need to make sure the following steps are completed in order to begin a club/program:
- Have a list of at least five (5) students/classmates that are willing to commit to the club/program
- Create a program description and mission statement
- Have a faculty member that has signed off on the proposal and is willing to advise the program/club
- Submit a final proposal for and approval by either the Dean of Students or the School Counselor
As part of the continued effort to give students "experiential" learning opportunities, Upper School students participated in a wide variety of "mini course" offerings for four days after the Thanksgiving break. The mini courses culminated with students presenting their projects to peers, teachers, and community members.
- Create Your Own Music!
- The World Through my Eyes: Writing Poetry and Fiction
- How to Win an Argument: An Introduction to Debate
- Italian-French Sweets, Chats, & Films
- Mascot Design: the Once & Future Rebel
- The Middle Way: a Nature Trail
- Robo-Car Clean Up Activity
- Sports Medicine
- Virtual Escape from SRDS!
- 40 Hour Film Contest
- 50 Shades of Blue -- influence of the color blue throughout history